Sunday, September 29, 2013

Quick Hit: Escalloped Corn

There's a program on the Cooking Channel called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". The premise is simple, chefs and other culinary world personalities sit down and talk about their favorite meal or dish. Where they had it, what was in it - and why it's their all time favorite.

This afternoon's 'quick hit' blog post borrows from that concept. One of my favorite dishes of all time is a speciality of my mom's - escalloped corn. It's been a holiday / family gathering staple for as long as I can remember and it's absolutely one of my favorite things to eat. If I could find a way to eat it for three meals per day, I likely would. It's the perfect blending of creamy, corn flavor with a crisp flavorful outer crust. All in all, it's one of my favorite all time dishes.

After 'borrowing' the recipe from my mom, I set out to recreate this tasty fall treat myself. (I should note, nothing about this recipe is seasonal - I simply refer to it as a 'fall treat' because it always seems to make appearances around the holidays).


The Recipe: Mom's Escalloped Corn

What You'll Need:

2 Cans Creamed Corn
2 Eggs (Beaten)*
1/2 Cup Milk or Half and Half
1/2 Cup Club Crackers (ground fine) plus an additional 1/4 cup ground for topping.


* Does anyone else see the phrasing "Eggs, beaten" in a recipe and imagine a detective interrogation scene? "Okay eggs, start talking or will start busting heads"  - then you proceed to 'beat them up'....

Yeah, me either...

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Spray a large glass baking dish with non stick spray and then add the contents of the bowl to the baking dish. Spread into an even layer, then top with another 1/4 cup of ground club crackers.

Place the dish into the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges have turned golden brown and the dish is 'set' (there should be little to no movement if you lightly jostle the dish - that's how you can tell it's cooked through).

Serve with a pinch of salt and pepper and a small bit of butter. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment