Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Recipe Revisit: Omelets With Fines Herbes

Good evening everyone! If you're are reading this from anywhere in the midwest, I hope you walked around with rocks in your pocket and made sure everything of value is otherwise secured to the lawn. It sure is blustery outside today! With wind gusts hitting 45 to 50 MPH and the temperature a much cooler 50 degrees for most of the day - fall has officially arrived...loudly and rudely.

Inside where it was safer and far less windy, Maggie took to the kitchen to remake a recipe she had tried previously. Her original attempt at 'Omelets With Fines Herbes' was a tasty dish that had room for some improvements. Tonight, armed with new herbs and a few other key ingredients, she took on the unique omelet dish again. I'll turn the keyboard over to Maggie so she can share how round two went down.

The Recipe: Omelets With Fines Herbes
Revisit From: Messin' With A Classic

What You'll Need:

6 Eggs
1/4 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 Slices Bacon, cut in half
1 1/2 Teaspoons Oregano
1 1/2 Teaspoons Thyme
1 1/2 Teaspoons Basil
1/2 Teaspoon Cilantro

It's a new cast of herbs this time around


Good evening everyone!  When Tyler told me that we would be doing a redo of some previous recipes, I browsed through a many of recipes, trying to find one that we said that we'd change/redo.  Then he quipped "Why not do the omelette with herbs one?"  That's why I married him, folks...he's brilliant.


I started by cooking four slices of bacon - Tyler made a good choice by getting a super thick cut bacon, it was hardier and added a real punch to the omelette.  As the bacon cooked, I shredded my cheese.  I also mixed my herbs all together.  The reason I chose these herbs is because they all had a super earthy undertone to them and they all blend together super nicely.  I felt that the cilantro might have more of a kick, so I made that the herb to do less of.







After the bacon is cooked, patted down with a paper towel, and broken into smaller pieces, I was ready to construct my omelette mixture.  In a large bowl, I added my six eggs, 1/4 cup milk, herbs, cheese, and bacon.  Since the combination was a little thicker than my previous attempt, I really had to put some elbow grease into it and whisk together thoroughly.  


Not pictured: Elbow grease




Heat an omelette skillet, or a nonstick skillet, over medium heat.  Pour half of the omelette mixture into the skillet, cooking until the mixture is set, less than 10 minutes.  Slide the omelette out of the pan and fold over, keeping the omelette insides warm.  Pour the second half of the mixture into the pan and repeat.  






The End Result:





When I had a hunch that the earthy herbs would work well together, the hunch was right.  The basil, oregano, thyme, and cilantro was a beautiful combination and worked excellently for the omelette.  The cheese and the bacon really added some depth to the recipe.  Those two ingredients were the saving grace of the new recipe because it produced more flavor.  The addition of the milk was a last minute decision.  I thought this morning "hm, I wonder what the recipe would be like if I added milk?"  It made the omelette fluffier and not strictly just eggs and herbs.  Redoing this recipe was definitely worth it and now, we have a recipe we can go to again and again.



Thanks Maggie! In the end, this 'second take' was certainly better than the first go round. The herbs were toned down and the cheese and bacon really added to the omelet's flavor. Adding milk to the recipe may have been Maggie's best move. The omelet was much fluffier and full than the previous incarnation of the dish. All around, a great second attempt at an already good dish.

That's all we have for you this evening. I'm in the kitchen tomorrow night taking on another potato soup recipe. This time, it's an original that I've fused from two previously attempted recipes. It should be interesting, so be sure to stop back tomorrow evening to see how everything went down. Until then,

~Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment