Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fresh Pasta A Go Go

Good evening everyone!  Several months ago, I received a pasta maker attachment for my Kitchenaid for Christmas and I've been anxious to use it.  I have never made fresh pasta in my life - always using the boxed kind as my fall back.  Last week, one of my coworkers taught me how to use my pasta attachment.  The end result is whatever your pasta imagination can come up with.

The Recipe:  Leek and Lemon Fettuccine
Original Recipe Found From: www.relish.com

What You'll Need:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 Teaspoon dried Oregano
3 large leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
9 Ounces fresh Fettuccine
1 1/2 Teaspoons fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Capers, drained
3/4 Cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley

To start, fill a large saucepan with water and heat the water over medium-high heat.  Bring the water to a boil and cook the fresh fettuccine until al dente.  Depending on the thickness of the fettuccine, will depend on the cooking time.  The pasta I made was a little thicker than normal and it had been in the refrigerator for several days.  I cooked mine between five and eight minutes, checking for doneness after five minutes.  

Before the pasta is done cooking, reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and set aside.  Drain the pasta in a colander, shake to remove the excess water, and quickly spray with cool water, so it won't stick together.  Return the pasta back to the saucepan and cover until the leek mixture has done cooking.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Once heated, add the garlic, oregano, and leeks and sauté until the leeks have become soft and transparent, about eight to ten minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Once the leeks have cooked, add the cooked pasta, lemon juice, capers, cheese, and parsley.  Stir well to combine or until the cheese has melted.  Add the reserved pasta water, if the pasta seems dry.  Serve with addition cheese and enjoy!

The End Result:



This is an incredibly fresh pasta that only takes a few ingredients and a few minutes to create.  The lemon and leek really brighten the recipe and the capers add a hint of bitterness, in a good way!  When the cheese melts, it almost becomes a sauce-like consistency, so the need for any type of sauce is not needed.  I will say making my own pasta and using it in a dish like this makes the effort worth it.  I hope to create more dishes in the future using homemade pasta and all different kinds of creations with it!

That's all we have for you this evening.  Check back soon as Tyler creates a brand new version of steak and potatoes.  Until then,

~Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment