Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Maggie Family Classic

Good evening everyone!  As Tyler mentioned last week, in the central Iowa metro, we are finally starting to settle into the autumn season.  Fall is probably my favorite season: seasonal warm beverages, big fleecy sweaters, favorite comfort food that's only acceptable during this time of the year; yeah, I love Fall.  Comfort food is definitely on top of my list and tonight's recipe is my epitome of comfort food.  I've made this recipe before, but I have since received the "official" recipe and with the proper tools, I will create this delicious treat.

The Recipe:  Pannekoeken (Dutch Pancakes)

What You'll Need:
2 Eggs
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Sugar
3 Cups Milk (we used plain soy milk)

To start, whisk all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.  You can whisk the eggs together before mixing in with the other ingredients, just so everything can get incorporated.

What this batter will form will be incredible (a slight over exaggeration, maybe...)
Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  The important ingredient in this whole dish is actually a utensil: the nonstick skillet.  Last time I attempted this recipe, we had only stainless steel pans and did I pay for making that mistake.   Not only is the skillet important, but melting a 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the skillet beforehand will help form the pancakes.

Once the skillet is warmed and the butter is melted, add 1/2 cup of the batter to the skillet.  Swirl the batter until it reaches the edges of skillet.  This will help make a thin pannekoeken, which is the way it is served traditionally.  Cook the batter between three to six minutes, until bubbles begin to form on top of the pancake and the batter looks "cooked".  Using a spatula (or a nonstick fish spatula,) flip the pancake over and continue to cook between two to four minutes.  The second side doesn't take nearly as long as the first side, so make sure to keep an eye on them.  About every two pancakes or so, add another 1/2 tablespoon of butter, to help the pancakes from keeping them from sticking to the skillet.



When the pancakes are done, keep them warm between two plates until serving.  Serve with butter, powdered sugar, and syrup and enjoy!

The End Result:



Unlike my previous attempt, these pancakes kept their shape and thin-like consistency.  My attempt tonight created the pannekoeken were just like the ones I had when I was a child, and I couldn't be more happier.  It's always great when you grew up with a certain dish and you are able to recreate it.  The pannekoeken was light, fluffy, and incredibly delicious.  I mentioned serving these with butter, powdered sugar, and syrup, but you can have sliced strawberries, bananas, cinnamon/apples, blueberries, whipped cream, regular granulated sugar, Nutella - the possibilities are endless!  These pancakes are a little slice of heaven and the ultimate form of a fall, comfort food for me.

Join us tomorrow as Tyler concocts a brand new, original recipe.  Until then,

~Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment